Government Enforcement, Compliance, & White Collar Litigation
It has never been more critical for businesses, and those who run them, to have a trusted advisor and advocate to help navigate the increasing oversight by government regulators and their growing enforcement activities. The last decade has seen a continued escalation of government oversight in the areas of healthcare, finance, higher education, energy, and the environment. As a result, audits and investigations by federal and state agencies – criminal and civil – are increasingly common. Pietragallo’s attorneys, many of whom are former prosecutors, routinely counsel and represent businesses that become subject to government audits and investigations.
Companies in this difficult environment are well advised to take preventative measures to become and remain compliant with federal and state regulations that increasingly impact their businesses, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related foreign laws. Our attorneys are experienced in compliance audits, training, and (when necessary) internal investigations for businesses across multiple industries.
Along with our substantive knowledge and significant experience, our attorneys add additional value through our ability to advise clients during “crisis” events that require immediate action and management. Whether the crisis arises from an unexpected government audit or a criminal investigation that includes search warrants and grand jury subpoenas, our attorneys stand ready to guide businesses through every step of the process.
In the event criminal charges are filed, our attorneys are experienced in every aspect of a complex white collar criminal case. We aggressively develop defense strategies to defend against or minimize the government’s case. When the only option is trial, we possess the experience to defend vigorously our clients at trial and on appeal. Our attorneys, many of whom are former prosecutors, collectively have decades of trial and appellate experience.
At all times and during every representation, we are focused on and concerned about the collateral consequences of a government audit or investigation, such as debarment, civil liability, exclusion or suspension from federal and state programs, and revocation of professional licenses.
Our attorneys are also experienced in representing government officials, municipal governments, quasi-governmental entities, non-profits, and businesses during political corruption, Hobbs Act, and bribery investigations.
Examples of our representations include:
- State and Federal public officials, municipalities, and businesses in public corruption investigations.
- Chief Executive Officers, Chief Financial Officers, and other high-ranking corporate executives in tax, wire fraud, money laundering, and financial fraud investigations.
- All legal aspects concerning a company involved in a chemical spill into public waterways including state and federal environmental agency review, civil suits and grand jury investigations in multiple jurisdictions.
- Corporate executives and businesses charged with price-fixing and other federal antitrust violations.
- A corporate officer of a large clothing manufacturer against allegations of fraud in obtaining a multi-million-dollar loan.
- Numerous health care professionals, executives, and companies accused of every type of health care fraud by state and federal prosecutors.
- Multiple businesses across various industries investigating and eliminating internal fraud, waste and abuse.
- High-ranking government officials and private entities and individuals in political corruption investigations.
- Title IX investigations of education institutions.
- Internal investigations of universities and colleges for alleged violations of Title IX and the Clery Act.
- A large manufacturer accused of defrauding the Department of Defense in relation to the sale of sophisticated military hardware.
- All types of professionals charged with violating federal and state tax laws.
- An executive of a mutual fund company accused of improper market timing and late trading.
- Executives of a closely held corporation accused of bankruptcy fraud.
- An executive of the nation’s largest environmental remediation company in an investigation related to the alleged fraud in the remediation of a major Pennsylvania Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) site.
- Prominent clergymen and religious organizations accused of state and federal crimes.
- NYSE-listed financial company before the SEC in an investigation of a sub-prime lending program, including irregularities in accounting and loss reserves, and disclosures to shareholders and the SEC.
- Individuals accused of illegal campaign contributions under the Federal Election Campaign Act.
- National Banking Association and publicly traded bank involved in large-scale irregularities in lending operations.
- Securities broker in appeal of federal securities fraud conviction resulting from five-week trial involving allegations of a complex multi-state securities fraud conspiracy.
- Individuals investigated for alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
Obviously, some of our most successful representations are the ones we can never discuss.
The attorneys of the Government Enforcement, Compliance, and White Collar Litigation group have been honored to receive the following distinctions:
- Ranked a Tier 1 Metro “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers for Criminal Defense White Collar in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia
- Ranked a Tier 1 Metro “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers for Health Care Law in Philadelphia
- One attorney named fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Four attorneys named “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers”
- Six attorneys named “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Stars”
- Three attorneys named “Lawyers on the Fast Track” by the Legal Intelligencer
- Two attorneys recognized as an AV® Preeminent™ rated attorney by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®
- One attorney named one of the best white collar criminal defense lawyers in Philadelphia by Philadelphia Magazine
- One attorney listed as a “Top 100 Pennsylvania Super Lawyer”
- One attorney listed as a “Top 100 Philadelphia Super Lawyer”
- One attorney selected to “Best Lawyers in America”
- One attorney recognized as a national leader by Law Dragon 500
- One attorney recognized in the US Healthcare Expert Guide
- Ranked a Tier 3 National “Best Law Firm” by U.S. News – Best Lawyers for Health Care Law