The attorneys in our Government Enforcement, Compliance and White Collar Litigation group have substantial experience in representing physicians and other medical providers in investigations, lawsuits, and administrative actions relating to prescribing practices – particularly those involving opioids and drug addiction treatment. These matters have spanned many jurisdictions and investigative agencies including the DEA, FBI, IRS, and HHS-OIG as well as state attorneys general and local law enforcement.
The government’s increased use of data analytics to identify statistical outliers and unusual prescribing patterns frequently ensnares physicians and their staff in criminal and civil investigations and lawsuits. Early and proactive involvement by counsel is crucial in these important cases.
Our attorneys are recognized as experts in this area and are frequently asked to speak on these topics including in the following:
- “Overcoming the Fear of Prescribing – Defending Your Patient and Practice,” The Pennsylvania Pain Society: Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions (Bedford, Pennsylvania), November 9, 2018
- “Government Investigations & Prosecutions – Focus: Opioid and Drug Addiction Treatment,” Pietragallo Law Firm (Pittsburgh, PA), June 28, 2018
- “Government Investigations & Prosecutions – Focus: Opioid and Drug Addiction Treatment,” Pietragallo Law Firm (Monroeville, PA), June 12, 2018
- “Investigations & Compliance: What’s New in Government Enforcement and Internal Investigations,” Pietragallo Law Firm (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania), May 16, 2018
- “Opioid Enforcement in 2018: DOJ, HHS, DEA, FBI – Who Does What?,” The New York State Pain Society: 2018 Annual Meeting & Scientific Sessions (West Harrison, New York), April 28, 2018
- “Health Care Compliance: Government Enforcement & Opioids,” Health Law Section, Allegheny County Bar Association (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), February 9, 2018
- “DOJ and DEA Opioid Enforcement in 2018,” The Pennsylvania Pain Society: Annual Meeting and Scientific Sessions (Hershey, Pennsylvania), December 10, 2017
- “Investigations & Compliance: What’s New in Government Enforcement and Internal Investigations,” Pietragallo Law Firm (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), October 25, 2017
- “Health Care Fraud Enforcement in the Trump Administration,” Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Pittsburgh Chapter (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania), October 11, 2017
Given the high-stakes nature of these matters, it is critical that expert counsel be engaged early in the process.